Some of our recent community partners include:
Albemarle County Public Schools
Book City Roanoke
Book No Further
Boys & Girls Clubs of Central Virginia
Charlottesville City Schools
Charlottesville Design Week
Jefferson-Madison Regional Library
Jefferson School African American Heritage Center
Library of Virginia
Light House Studio
Miller School of Albemarle
Monticello’s Getting Word Oral History Project
New City Arts Initiative
New Dominion Bookshop
Rare Book School
Second Street Gallery
Studio Two Three
The Bridge Progressive Arts Initiative
UVA Albert and Shirley Small Special Collections Library
UVA McIntire Department of Art
UVA Vice Provost for the Arts
Virginia Center for Inclusive Communities
Virginia Center for Investigative Journalism
Virginia Film Festival
Virginia Library Association
Virginia Press Association
One Book & Big Read Programs
- Alexandria: All Alexandria Reads, a program of the Alexandria Library
- Arlington: Arlington Reads, a program of the Arlington Public Library
- Buchanan County: Buchanan County Reads, a program of the Buchanan County Public Library
- Charlottesville: Same Page, a program of the Jefferson-Madison Regional Library
- Churchville: Churchville Reads, a program of the Churchville Branch Library
- Hampton Roads: Tidewater Reads, a literary collaborative
- Newport News: Peninsula READS, a community-based adult literacy program
- Radford and the New River Valley: Big Read NRV, a program of Radford University
- Roanoke: Roanoke Valley Reads, a program of Blue Ridge Literacy
- Winchester: One Book One Community, a program of the Handley Regional Library
Literary Festivals & Series
- Arlington: NoVa Teen Book Festival, takes place annually in March
- Charlottesville: Virginia Festival of the Book, takes place annually in March
- Emory: Emory & Henry Literary Festival, takes place annually in October
- Fairfax: Fall for the Book, takes place annually in October
- Farmville: Virginia Children’s Book Festival, takes place annually in October
- Fredericksburg: Books and Beer Club, ongoing at the Adventure Brewing Company
- Norfolk: Tidewater Community College Literary Festival, takes place annually in April
- Norfolk: Old Dominion University Literary Festival, takes place annually in September
- Radford: Radford Reads, takes place annually in May
- Roanoke: Lex Allen Literary Festival, takes place annually in March
- Williamsburg: Williamsburg Book Festival, takes place annually in October
Browse public libraries throughout Virginia in the Library of Virginia Public Library Directory, which is searchable by county or city.
Additional library resources in the Commonwealth can be found through the Virginia Library Association.
- Resources and program information related to adult literacy in Virginia may be found by exploring the Virginia Adult Learning Resource Center and the Virginia Literacy Foundation.
- Virginia State Reading Association is a professional organization actively engaged in promoting literacy throughout Virginia, sharing current instructional strategies and research, and advocating for the elimination of illiteracy in our state.
- In Central Virginia, Literacy Volunteers of Charlottesville/Albemarle (LVCA) provides free one-on-one, confidential tutoring in basic literacy and English as a second language to adults living or working in Charlottesville and Albemarle County.
- The Virginia Association of School Librarians (VAASL) is the voice for excellence in Virginia’s school libraries through the promotion of literacy, information access and evaluation, love of literature, effective use of technology, collaboration in the teaching/learning process, intellectual freedom, professional growth, instructional leadership and lifelong learning. VAASL also hosts an annual conference each fall.
- The Literacy Institute at Virginia Commonwealth University advances the quality and accessibility of literacy instruction and support services across the lifespan through professional learning, research and development, evaluation, and public policy.
If you would like to suggest an addition to this list of reading-related resources throughout Virginia, please email email@example.com with details.