Coptic binding is the oldest form of a book (a “codex”) in Western culture.
In its modern form, it has a hardcover and an open spine that reveals decorative binding stitching.
At the end of this intermediate course, participants will take home a full-size Coptic-bound book.
During this class, we will make a quick model to learn the sewing pattern, then make a finished book.
- Basic bookbinding skills needed (folding signatures; cover book boards).
- Prior to the class, participants will need to pick up book boards at the Center for the Book and bring them to the class covered in the material of their choosing.
- Registration for this workshop closes Friday, September 08, 2022
Book Arts Workshop: Two-Needle Coptic Bookbinding
- Instructor: Janet Eden
- Day/Date/Time: Saturday, September 16, 2023 (9:45 AM– 4:00 PM)
- Location: Virginia Center for the Book at the Jefferson School City Center
- Fee for One Day Workshop: $100 members, $120 nonmembers (fees include $15 for materials)
- *UVa Education Benefit Eligible, non-degree certification class #091623 (must use non-member price).
- Class Size: Limited to 6 students
- Skill level: Intermediate Level (participants have basic bookmaking skills – fold signatures, cover book boards)
- Materials and tools: All materials provided with tools available for in-class use – Participants may wish to bring their own cutting mats, cutters, rulers with metal edges, and bone folders, but this is not necessary.
- For information about the class: Janet Eden at firstname.lastname@example.org
- For information about registration or Center programs: Garrett Queen email@example.com
- This will be an intermediate-level class for those with basic bookmaking skills (fold signatures, cover book boards).
- Participants will be expected to bring a pair of covered boards for a book; in class, we will punch signatures, drill the covers, and sew the book.
- Instructions for book board pick-up and covering will be sent after registration.
- Basic bookbinding tools will be provided along with a variety of colors of binding thread and paper for signatures.
- Note the 9:45 AM class time to allow for a prompt 10:00 AM start.
Our COVID Policy for this workshop:
It is the Virginia Center for the Book’s expectation that all program participants be vaccinated.
Should public health guidelines change, and new norms be applicable, we reserve the right to revisit the expectations in the interest of participant health and safety.