Gateway drug to the world of printmaking, linocut offers an accessible entry point for the novice and yet, can still be manipulated with great skill and depth by the old salt printer.
Come and learn the potential of this workhorse material.
Students will create a veritable Rosetta Stone of linocut techniques that they can keep in their studio to use as a reference as they develop their own preferred block carving style.
In this two-day intensive, students will be immersed in the practice of linocut and learn tips and techniques as well as be exposed to a variety of materials and methods.
Lana will guide students through a series of exercises to help them broaden their mark-making tactics as well as develop and recognize their own unique style of carving.
Along with linoleum carving techniques, Lana will show methods for transferring an image to the carving surface, demonstrate how to mount unmounted linoleum and techniques for printing both using a printing press and pulling a print at your kitchen table.
There are even some secrets divulged on how to repair some mistakes during carving! *gasp!*
Join us on this two-day intensive whether you’re dusting off your blades to get back in it again or you’re wide-eyed and freshly new to the amazing world of printmaking.
Techniques in Linocut with Lana Lambert
- Instructor: Lana Lambert
- Schedule: Friday, September 22nd, and Saturday, September 23rd, 2023 (10:00 AM – 4:00 PM each day)
- Location: Virginia Center for the Book (map: Jefferson School City Center)
- Registration Fee for two-day course: $220 members/$250 non-members (course fees include materials)
- The workshop fee includes online registration and the cost of all materials.
- *UVa Education Benefit Eligible, non-degree certification class #092223 (must use non-member price).
- Materials and tools: All materials provided w/tools available for in-class use.
- Class Size: Limited to ten students
- For additional course information contact: Garrett Queen: email@example.com
- Course fees must be paid to complete your registration: You will receive an email confirmation upon completion of your registration.
COVID Vaccination and Masking Policy:
It is the Virginia Center for the Book’s expectation that all program participants will be fully vaccinated and boosted.
Evolving CDC and UVA COVID guidelines may require that participants be masked if working close to others. (please bring your masks)
Should public health guidelines change, and new norms be applicable, we reserve the right to revisit the expectations in the interest of participant health and safety.