Interested in constructing a beautiful slipcase to “house” a favorite book or set of books?
Participants in this class will build one slipcase in class and learn to adapt the basic model to accommodate different sizes of books.
Using a standard-size hardback journal as our base (this book is provided), participants will measure, cut, cover, and assemble a four-sided, lined slipcase to house the journal.
Additionally, participants will apply the slipcase formula to measure and cut slipcase boards for a book of their choice.
Participants will complete the second slipcase at home using their own decorative paper.
Slipcase Construction – Workshop Details
Instructor: Jane FreemanSchedule: Sunday, September 17, 2023, 10:00 AM – 4:00 PM
Location: Virginia Center for the Book (map: Jefferson School City Center)
Fee for One Day Workshop: $100 BookArts Members – $125 non-members
Class Size: Limited to eight students.
Skill level: Basic Binding Skills
Questions about the workshop contact: Jane Freeman
- The workshop fee includes the cost of all materials.
- The course-provided materials include binder’s board, decorative paper, and a hardcover journal.
- Binding tools, brushes, and glue will be available for in-class use.
- Participants should also bring one hardback book of their own to class – no larger than 8 x 10
- Registration closes on September 8, 2023
- Registration is not complete until you receive a payment confirmation.
COVID Vaccination and Masking Policy:
It is the Virginia Center for the Book’s expectation that all program participants will be fully vaccinated.
Evolving CDC and UVA COVID guidelines may require that participants be masked if working close to others. (please bring your masks)
Should public health guidelines change, and new norms be applicable, we reserve the right to revisit the expectations in the interest of participant health and safety.
Registration or Book Arts Questions: firstname.lastname@example.org