Pressure Printing on the Vandercook
Friday, Saturday & Sunday, April 19 – 21, 2024
Pressure printing and collagraph lie somewhere between painting, collage, drawing, and printmaking. When they are combined with the versatility of a Vandercook cylinder press they become simple, direct, loose, and inexpensive processes to explore the full potential of letterpress printing.
In this workshop, we will learn the basics of these techniques and then quickly move on to apply them to making multi-color, improvisational compositions with easy and accurate registration and painterly approaches to color. We will learn how to integrate traditional letterpress type with pressure printing and collagraph and talk about ways to use digital design and fabrication tools with the processes as well.
About the Instructor
Aaron Cohick is a letterpress printer/artist/publisher based in Louisville, KY. His work focuses on the intersection of text, image, community, and collaboration. He is the founder and proprietor of the NewLights Press, and from 2010 – 2023 was also the Printer of The Press at Colorado College.
Aaron’s work is held in public and private collections all over the world, including the Library of Congress, the New York Public Library, the Metropolitan Museum of Art, the British Library, the National Library of Australia, Yale University, the Newberry Library, and the Tate Britain Library. He has taught workshops at Arrowmont School of Arts and Crafts, the Bemis School of Art, the San Francisco Center for the Book, Naropa University, and Penland School of Crafts.
- Friday, Saturday & Sunday, April 19 – 21, 2024 (10:00 AM to 4:00 PM)
- Instructor: Aaron Cohick
- Class Size: Limited to eight/ten students
- Skill level: Previous letterpress experience helpful but required
- Location: Virginia Center for the Book (map: Jefferson School City Center)
- Fee for Three Day Workshop: $285 VCB Members / $320 Non-Members
- UVa Staff may be eligible to use their UVa Education Benefit for this class (see HR Guidance)
If applying reference non-degree certification class #041924 (must use non-member price)
- Course fees must be paid to complete your registration
- The workshop fee includes the cost of all materials
- Tools will be available for in-class use.
- Registration closes on April 12, 2024
- For additional course information and information about the Center and its programs contact firstname.lastname@example.org
Our COVID Vaccination and Masking Policy for this Workshop:
- It is the Virginia Center for the Book’s expectation that all program participants are vaccinated.
- Evolving CDC and UVA COVID guidelines may require that participants be masked if working close to others. (bring your masks)
- Should public health guidelines change, and new norms be applicable, we reserve the right to revisit the expectations in the interest of participant health and safety.
The program is, in part, funded by a grant from the Josef and Robert Cornell Memorial Foundation.